Author Topic: Singers Association of India (SAI) / Indian Singers' Rights Association (ISRA)  (Read 4318 times)

Offline SG

• Senior
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Musical association

Until now, attempts to bring together film and non-film singers under a common umbrella have been in vain. But the Singers Association of India (SAI), a group which was announced at the innaugural function of the Global India Music Awards, held in association with the Hindustan Times, is meant to fill that void. “We have been trying to form this group for five years now but it couldn’t take off earlier because there was serious negativity inside,” says singer Sonu Nigam, who is ecstatic about the formation of SAI.

The singer says that people have now been made to understand that the purpose of the association is to serve “no one’s personal agenda.” He adds, “It’s for the betterment of our seniors and our forthcoming music generation. The organisation will shelter everyone’s rights.”

Many singers like Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, Hariharan, Sunidhi Chauhan, Shaan, Abhijeet Bhattacharya, Sukhindwer Singh, Kailash Kher and Alka Yagnik have already pledged their support to the association.

How will the forum help singers? “It will help us bring everyone together, get rid of politics and take care of each other. Senior musicians have faced issues due to lack of care and have been lost in oblivion. Through this forum, we also plan to reach out to them,” says the singer.

Did they face issues with music composers and lyricists? “Now music composers and lyricists are working in tandem with us. All musicians of the country will be a part of this group,” says Nigam.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Musical-association/Article1-622280.aspx

« Last Edit: 19. July 2013, 12:20:03 by admina »

Offline admina

• Administrator
  • Senior
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
  • " Just when I accepted defeat,I realised I won "
    • www.sonu-niigaam.com
Musical association

this is really good news ! I am happy that they could finally found an association like this - this was one issue very close to his heart and he was fighting for since years .... :boogie: its a great achievement for himself, but even a bigger one for the music fraternity in India

Offline admina

• Administrator
  • Senior
    • www.sonu-niigaam.com
Sonu Nigaam Fulfills Lata Mangeshkar’s Dream!

December 11th, 2010

Sonu NigaamDecember 11, 2010: Sonu Nigaam has come a long way in his singing career in Bollywood and now he has become quite choosy about his work. After spending almost two decades in Bollywood, Sonu thinks that one should not over expose his or her talent and should respect the art and that is what he is doing now.

However, apart from his Bollywood career, the 37-year-old singer has got himself involved with the Singers Association of India (SAI). SAI was formed in this June and it aims to protect the interests of Indian singers. Sonu says that this was actually the dream of the ‘Nightingale of India’ Lata Mangeshkar but she could not somehow make it possible. So, Sonu has taken the responsibility from this veteran singer with help of some other renowned Bollywood singers like Alka Yagnik, Shaan and Kunal Ganjawala.

The organization has also plan to raise the issues like that the singers should get their desired due. Citing an example from the movie Lakshya, which did not give credit to the singers, Sonu said that this is not right. He said that most of the Bollywood movies do well because of their music and if the musicians are not given their credit then it is wrong.

The singer further informed that the association is planning to bring a moral code of conduct in the industry for the singers. They also plan to help the out-of-work singers to support them leading a life with dignity.

Well, this is definitely a praiseworthy step taken by these Bollywood singers and we hope it helps the upcoming singers as well!

http://www.realbollywood.com/news/2010/12/sonu-nigaam-fulfills-lata-mangeshkars-dream.html

Offline admina

• Administrator
  • Senior
    • www.sonu-niigaam.com
We will finally get our due: Indian singers
Debarati S Sen, TNN | Jul 19, 2013, 12.11 PM IST

So whose songs do you listen to? LataJi's, Kishoreda's Sonu Nigam's, Udit Narayan's, Alka Yagnik's or Kumar Sanu's? When we refer to songs, we always refer to the singer's names as if it is their song completely. The singer actually is the face of the song, yet unfortunately over the years, they haven't been given their due credit. The formation of Indian Singers' Rights Association (ISRA) on July 18, 2013, will ensure that this is no more the case.

Singers in our country, (not just playback singers from the Hindi Film Industry, but folk singers, ghazal singers and singers of all languages) can now claim royalties from various mediums and sectors that use their songs for commercial purpose including the radio stations, to television channels and even the digital platforms of internet and mobile telephones.

Isra, convener, Sanjay Tandon said, "This is the fruit of the decades of hard labor that a team of singers have led to get singers their justifiable place in the copyright regime. At last singers are no more vocal instruments. Their creativity in a song is now recognised and they shall now start getting royalties from the exploitation of their performances.

The performers rights shall subsist for fifty years from the date of performance and all singers of the country and their legal heirs will benefit from it."

Lata Mangeshkar, Usha Mangeshkar, Suresh Wadkar,Gurdas Mann,Pankaj Udhas, Alka Yagnik,Kumar Sanu, Abhijeet Bhattacharya,Sonu Nigam and Sanjay Tandon with support from Asha Bhosle, Shaan , Kunal Ganjawala, Sunidhi Chauhan, Mahalaxmi Iyer and others singers are a part of the ISRA. The entire fraternity of singers have lauded Javed Akhtar's efforts and guidance due to which they could finally form ISRA.

The association ISRA is happy with this first step. They are yet to have a meeting where they plan to decide on a tariff card.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/music/news-and-interviews/We-will-finally-get-our-due-Indian-singers/articleshow/21160388.cms

Offline admina

• Administrator
  • Senior
    • www.sonu-niigaam.com

Offline admina

• Administrator
  • Senior
    • www.sonu-niigaam.com
Singers can soon earn more royalties
Anirbhan Das, Hindustan Times  Mumbai, July 19, 2013

With the amendment in the Copyright Act, 1957, giving birth to a new law ‘Performer's Right’, from June 21, 2012, a copyright collection society, Indian Singers' Rights Association (ISRA) has been formed to collect and distribute royalties to singers all over the country.

Singers can claim royalties from all radio stations, digital platforms, television channels and from all sectors using their songs for commercial purpose.

Although ISRA will first hold an annual general meeting to discuss the tariff rates for different platforms, they are happy for their first victory.

“The formation of ISRA in itself is a big victory for all the singers fighting for their rights. Though the royalty for all singers would be equal, the rates will differ for radio stations, television channels etc depending on the money they are making from the songs,” says Sanjay Tandon,managing director , ISRA.

Sonu Niggaam, who has been an integral part of the association, believes that the implementation of issuing royalties will give financial security to all. “ISRA will keep a tab on the money generated through a singer's song at various platforms and will subsequently charge and distribute the royalties to us,” says Niggaam.

When questioned if this association has been formed in a time when singers face difficulties in winning many projects, singer Abhijeet Bhattacharya said: "Singers are the most blessed community. We are never jobless. But after a certain age, one cannot expect us to sing very frequently. This is the time when royalties will be our source of income. More importantly, royalties for our work is our right."

The press conference to announce the formation of ISRA was attended by singers Alka Yagnik, Kumar Sanu, Kailash Kher, Hariharan, Javed Ali, Pankaj Udhas, Udit Narayan and Shaan among others.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/Mumbai/Singers-can-soon-earn-more-royalties/Article1-1094809.aspx

Offline SG

• Senior

Singers to claim royalty for their songs

Offline SG

• Senior

Uditji speaks on royalty & praises Sonuji

Abhijeet Da speaks on royalty & praises Sonuji

Suresh Wadkar ji & Pankaj Udhas ji speak on royalty & praises Sonuji

« Last Edit: 19. July 2013, 14:45:30 by SG »

Offline SG

• Senior

Few More Pictures - Sonuji at the formation of Indian Singer’s Rights Association (ISRA) for Royalties

« Last Edit: 19. July 2013, 15:01:39 by SG »

Offline SG

• Senior

A new body to ensure 'royal' treatment for singers

A new body has been formed to collect and distribute royalties to singers all over India.

The formation of Indian Singers' Rights Association (ISRA) was announced at a press conference here last evening in the presence of well-known singers like Alka Yagnik, Kumar Sanu, Kailash Kher, Hariharan, Pankaj Udhas, Udit Narayan and Shaan, among others.

Through this association a singer can claim royalties from all platforms wherever his/her songs are played like radio stations and television channels, among others.

"The formation of ISRA is a big victory for all the singers who have been fighting for their rights since a long time. We will collect royalty from TV, radio, etc and not from producer or music company. Copyright will be applicable to old songs also till 50 years," Sanjay Tandon, Managing Director, ISRA told reporters.

"Also, nobody can reproduce your performance - be it in audio or video form. The right to reproduce should be taken by music Company and producer," Tandon said.

The performers' right shall subsist for 50 years from the date of performance and all singers of the country and their legal heirs will benefit from it, he said.

It is reported that though the royalty for all singers would be equal, the rates will differ for radio stations and TV channels.

Singers feel royalties will provide financial security. Sanu described ISRA as the first step towards recognising the rights of artists but said there is a long way to go.

"In our country singers have to think of promoting themselves which is not the case abroad. When our song becomes hit everyone earns money - from producer to music company. Why can't a singer earn money? This is the first step but there is a long way to go," he said.

"ISRA will keep a tab on the money generated through a song at various platforms. We all need to come together and ensure this thing happens," he added.

Yagnik said after a certain age we won't be able to sing frequently.

"This is the time when royalties will be our source of income. Royalties for our work is our right. We need to stand for our rights.

http://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/a-new-body-to-ensure-royal-treatment-for-singers-113071900763_1.html

http://zeenews.india.com/entertainment/musicindia/a-new-body-to-ensure-royal-treatment-for-singers_139384.htm

Offline SG

• Senior

Singers Assure a Transparent Royalty Collection Body

While the existing Copyright Societies are drawing flak for their questionable operations, ISRA vouches to strive for transparency

Probably hinting at the dubious practices of the existing royalty collecting societies, ISRA  - Indian Singers Rights Association, the newly registered society for singers, laid claim to be transparent, have an understanding and honest relationship with users with regards to licensing and operating on international standards. This and much more was cited at the press meet held yesterday by the singer community in Mumbai.

The Registrar of Copyrights G R Raghavender registered ISRA I on June 14, 2013. Around 15-20 singers from the Hindi film industry officially represented the society at the event.

Derived from the moral and economic rights granted to the performers (singers) under Section 38A and Section 38 B of the Copyright (amendment) Act, 2012, this society will administer their rights and work on collection and distribution of royalties.

At the event, Sanjay Tandon, CEO of ISRA shared that ISRA was the first Copyright Society to be approved by the Government. “The other societies Indian Performing Rights Society (IPRS) and Phonographic Performances Limited (PPL) also applied for registration but only ISRA was granted approval.”

Talking about the royalty due to singers he said, “We want to make clear that ISRA will not lay claim on the money due to producers and music labels and they should not worry about it. The performers’ right granted to singers is a new set of rights and money will be collected separately from the users.”

Sonu Nigam, one of the key faces in the movement, emotionally expressed that singers are equated to vocal instruments in the industry. “If composers and lyricists can earn royalty, then why can’t singers too? He questioned. “Farhan Akhtar is himself a singer but still his films like Don 2, Lakshya don’t credit singers.”

Pankaj Udhas lamented, “Singers’ dignity is finally being restored. Atleast our share is legitimate with the body being established now irrespective whether we start getting royalties six months from here.”

Present at the event were Hariharan, Kumar Sanu, Udit Narayan, Kunal Ganjawala, Abhijeet Bhattacharya, Shaan, Alka Yagnik, Kailash Kher, Javed Ali, Suresh Wadkar, Mahalaxmi Iyer, Sowmya Raoh among others.

Tandon cautioned the singers that it is an uphill task from here and there would be many challenges for the community ahead. “We are aware that some might challenge this move and try to strike down this right granted by the Act. But I am sure that nobody can win against this justifiable right given to the singers.”

At the press conference, it was declared that singers cannot collect their performance royalty on their own or through an agent but only by being a member of ISRA. The performers’ rights shall subsist for 50 years from the date of performance.

The Society shall be holding its Annual General Meeting (AGM) in August to discuss the infrastructure and royalty rates to be enforced for the processes. Royalty at uniform charge will be agreed upon by every singer and distribution will be based on the actual exploitation of their works.

ISRA was incorporated as a Companies Limited by Guarantee under the Companies Act, 1956 on May 3, 2013. The Singers Association of India (SAI) applied for registration as a Copyright Society on June 21, 2013.

http://www.soundbox.co.in/singers-assure-a-transparent-royalty-collection-body/

Offline SG

• Senior

Music fraternity in unison

The music fraternity assembled in a plush suburban hotel to announce an association for royalty issues. What followed was an evening of music and laughter. Here’s a dekko at all the action.

The entire singer community of Bollywood camesonu nigam for this event with a sense of purpose. The mood was a serious one at the onset, but soon the inherent sense of humour in the singers took over.

The team acknowledged that this association was the fruit of decades of hard work put in by a group of individuals. Kunal Ganjanwala said, `I think such a copyright was the need of the hour. Internationally, all singers make their living out of royalty, it is only in India that we need to sing for a living.`

Apart from discussing the act, the singers also indulged in some fun-filled banter. Veteran singer Udit Narayan took the lead and complimented Alka Yagnik on her beauty. She looked surprised, and the audience burst out laughing.

Suresh Wadkar also joked about how all those late-night drinking sessions at Alka’s house brought them closer in fighting for this cause. On hearing this, Sonu Nigam instantly hid his face in his palms.

Certainly, our Indian singers have a great sense of humour that binds them in happy as well as tough times. Lastly, we spotted a super slim Shaan at the event.

http://www.canindia.com/2013/07/music-fraternity-in-unison/

Offline admina

• Administrator
  • Senior
    • www.sonu-niigaam.com
YT: Sonu Nigam, Shaan, Kumar Sanu & other Bollywood Singers form Royalty Collection Society -

Offline admina

• Administrator
  • Senior
    • www.sonu-niigaam.com
Musicians Unite for `Singers Royalty Collection Society`
By Anjana Dhanavanthan // Sat , 20 Jul , 2013

After a battle to earn their rights of royalties, veteran musicians of Bollywood have actually formed a society called the ‘Singers Royalty Collection Society’. This move came after the singers, music composers and lyricists raised opposition for not getting any royalties for their work, while music companies earned everything.

The music industry felt that they should earn revenue or royalties from radio stations, digital platforms, television channels and other sources that use their pieces of work to earn.
Along with singers Abhijeet and Sonu Nigam, singers like Kumar Sanu, Kunal Ganjawala, Udit Narayan and Alka Yagnik were present at the event.

Singer Sonu Nigam said “ISRA will keep a tab on the money generated through a singer's song at various platforms and will subsequently charge and distribute the royalties to us.”

"Singers are the most blessed community. We are never jobless. But after a certain age, one cannot expect us to sing very frequently. This is the time when royalties will be our source of income. More importantly, royalties for our work is our right" said singer Abhijeet at the event.

Veteran singer of the 90’s, Kumar Sanu was also seen at the event. He raised concerns saying that “In our country singers have to think of promoting themselves which is not the case abroad. When our song becomes hit everyone earns money – from producer to Music Company. Why can’t a singer earn money? This is the first step but there is a long way to go."

Adding to his point, Sanjay Tandon, Managing Director, ISRA told reporters said “ISRA will keep a tab on the money generated through a song at various platforms. We all need to come together and ensure this thing happens."

It was interesting to note that veteran musicians had come forward to support the move and had also spoken up for the society.
In Pic: Singer Kunal Ganjawala.

Recently, music director Milind Shrivastav of the Anand-Milind fame had resigned from the IPRS after a recent court order questioned IPRS’s credibility. Talking about it, he said “The music companies are controlling IPRS, and in collusion with IPRS, its CEO and management are not adhering to the amended Copyright Act."
In Pic: Singer Mahalakshmi Iyer

“This is the time when royalties will be our source of income. Royalties for our work is our right. We need to stand for our rights” said singer Alka Yagnik while attending the formation of Singers Royalty Society.

Popular lyricist Javed Akhtar had said "Despite the amendment in the Copyright Act, which came into effect last year, composers and lyricists haven't been paid their pending royalties. We are happy with the Calcutta High Court order."
In Pic: Singer Shaan.

With famous singers like Pankaj Udhas, Udit Narayan and Sonu Nigam backing the formation of this society, it sure looks like there is a promising future and a secure one for the singers and other musicians, who form a big part of the film industry. We are glad that all this happened without any issues amidst the artists.

http://www.namastetimes.com/photos/formation-of-singers-royalty-collection-society-photos-11.htm

Offline admina

• Administrator
  • Senior
    • www.sonu-niigaam.com
Watch full video here: Indian Singer Association Press Meet | Sonu Nigam, Alka Yagnik, Udit Narayan, Suresh Wadekar